www.chirpthird.com   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» www.chirpthird.com » SSOA and friends » SSOA: "Back Porch" » Build numbers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Build numbers
RareSS
1st Gear
Member # 1818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RareSS   Author's Homepage   Email RareSS         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for someone that still knows the build numbers for the LE's. I called SLP today and I was told by a woman that they did not give out any info unless I bought something from them! Duh! Very rude woman! she wouldn't take the time to explain the problem like Jason did ( I called back again!) I think there are quite a lot of things on my two LE's from them! Sounds like some bad business dealings?
Anyway....can anyone help me with the numbers if I supply the VIN? Thanks,
Jim

--------------------
Two 2002 35th Annivesary Camaro SS LE's
"Julie" SS #6684 LE #3115 Coupe
"Prom Queen with an Attitude"
"Rare SS" License Plate
"Tattoos" by Ed Hamburger and Scott Settlemire
"Jenny" SS #2618 LE #925 Vert
"A Dream Come True"
"Rare LE" License Plate
SLP SFC's SLP STB's SLP Air Lids
Torque Thrust II's on Julie
Black Earnhardt Intimidators on Jenny
Auto Dim/Compass/Temp Mirrors
Power Antennas with Switches
Granatelli 200 mph White-Face Gauges(Black on Jenny)
Red Z06 Fuel Rail Covers
Bauer Eradispeeds
Red Powder-coated Brake Calipers
Chromed Brake Pad Brackets
A Few Other Neat Trick Dress-ups
Memeber of:SSOA, NSR, TSSRA, LSSRA

Posts: 148 | From: Abilene,Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WayneSS01
2nd Gear
Member # 734

Icon 11 posted      Profile for WayneSS01   Author's Homepage   Email WayneSS01         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the numbers. But I did read about the 'new' method of receiving build numbers. [Confused]

--------------------
'01 SS #1618
Pewter Vert M6
My Conveyance
BFBA

Posts: 465 | From: B'ham, AL | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
RareSS
1st Gear
Member # 1818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RareSS   Author's Homepage   Email RareSS         Edit/Delete Post 
And how is it you find build numbers, if I may ask?
Jim

--------------------
"Rare SS" License Plate
"A Dream Come True"
"Rare LE" License Plate
Red Z06 Fuel Rail Covers
Bauer Eradispeeds

JeffY
3rd Gear
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeffY   Email JeffY         Edit/Delete Post 
SLP never had build numbers for the LE's-Only Chevrolet did. Per your signature, you already have LE build numbers. Where did you get those from?
Posts: 1163 | From: Rochester Hills, Mi | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
WayneSS01
2nd Gear
Member # 734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WayneSS01   Author's Homepage   Email WayneSS01         Edit/Delete Post 
The 'must buy something first'. Someone posted the same thing on ls1.com She asked for her SS build number and was told she had to spend $55 to get it. [Confused] I got my SS build number from SLP via email before their board was back up. Once the new board was up there was a forum to ask for SS build numbers.

Guess the LE number you seek is different.

--------------------
'01 SS #1618
Pewter Vert M6
My Conveyance
BFBA

Posts: 465 | From: B'ham, AL | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Durs98SS
1st Gear
Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Durs98SS   Email Durs98SS         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WayneSS01:
The 'must buy something first'. Someone posted the same thing on ls1.com She asked for her SS build number and was told she had to spend $55 to get it. [Confused]

I think she was confused. I think they're now making you buy a Birth Certificate and Portfolio in order to find out your build number. SLP is definitely not the same anymore.

--------------------
 -
1998 Camaro SS #0177
[urlhttp://www.sdkcg.com/carpix/sig/sig.php?uid=4]My Mods[/url]

Posts: 26 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RareSS
1st Gear
Member # 1818

I got the SS build numbers and the LE build numbers for "Julie" and "Jenny" both, from SLP when I called in to them after purchasing the Camaros. I bought the birth certificates (portfolios and a lot of other items from SLP)for both of these cars and they have the one build number on it, but the LE build numbers came from calling SLP.
I am looking at a third SS/LE Camaro and I am trying to get the build numbers for it also. It would be nice to be able to know the numbers for all three of them instead of the two and a blank for the third one.
I know Teri had access to them at one time, but I do not know if she still does, so I was trying to see if they were posted or anyone else had access to them now.
Thanks,
Jim
Julie, Jenny, and ?

--------------------
"Rare SS" License Plate
"A Dream Come True"
"Rare LE" License Plate
Red Z06 Fuel Rail Covers
Bauer Eradispeeds

chrisL
Shhh, I'm on the phone.
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisL   Author's Homepage   Email chrisL         Edit/Delete Post 
LE build numbers were created by Chevy. LEs were numbered sequentially via VIN. The SLP SS build numbers are different, as they were numbered by SLP as the cars were completed by them.

quote:
Originally posted by Durs98SS:
SLP is definitely not the same anymore.

well, that is for sure.

SLP Engineering is not the same. There is only a skeleton crew left in Michigan now as they are transitioning most of their work from Michigan back to NJ.

Simply put, they dont have the staff to answer build numbers via the phone anymore.

I will try to find out Monday to see what they plan to do down the road regarding build numbers.

Unfortunately, there's not much else we can do for now.

--------------------
chrisL
00 Hawk 295 - NBM, Hurst, Bilstein, Auburn, SLP spoiler, Chrome, Syntec, Lou's Short Stick, SLP OE lid, SLP !CAGS, BMR STB

Posts: 2441 | From: Chester, NY | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
HotWheelSS aka HTWLSS
SSOA Director
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotWheelSS aka HTWLSS   Author's Homepage   Email HotWheelSS aka HTWLSS         Edit/Delete Post 
When we verify a members car, we get the SS and LE # (if it's an Anniversary car). Those numbers get printed on the SSOA Letter of Authenticity.

--------------------
Do you own a '96-'02 Camaro SS?
 -
 -  - Teri
Get a limited SSOA diecast while they last
http://thanks.f-body.com
'67 230, 6-cyl Convertible; '68 V-8 TB Convertible; '68 LS1/6-speed; ’72 Z28 for sale; '90 5.7 IROC; '98 Z28 SLP Durability Car; '00+ Camaro "Body in White"; '99 Convertible SS #0069
McGee's Auto Service

Posts: 7198 | From: Near Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
el ess1
2nd Gear
Member # 1544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for el ess1   Email el ess1         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be their new, unwritten policy about giving out information to the owner. Kinda like that unwritten warranty about chrome having to come off the front of your wheel before it was covered under warranty....

Let me get this straight, you now have to buy something to get information about your car? A hostage situation...hmmmm....I thought that was taken care of when you bought the WU8 upfit. Oh well, if that's the case, then SLP is getting like all the rest of the faceless crowd of vendors. It's sad, but to be just another money hungry vendor wasn't how I saw SLP. Can't see how much longer anyone will stick up for them if they treat their customer base like that. I call 'em as I see 'em, so unless there's a good explanation for it, my opinion stands pat. And having a skeleton crew is no excuse. Customer service is only as good as the people providing it. Get more help if the people are being overrun.

[ 30. September 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: el ess1 ]

--------------------
Mike
'02 #6906
pewter/M6/leather/hardtop

Posts: 577 | From: Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
vargod
1st Gear
Member # 1116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vargod   Email vargod         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by el ess1:
It must be their new, unwritten policy about giving out information to the owner. Kinda like that unwritten warranty about chrome having to come off the front of your wheel before it was covered under warranty....

Let me get this straight, you now have to buy something to get information about your car? A hostage situation...hmmmm....I thought that was taken care of when you bought the WU8 upfit. Oh well, if that's the case, then SLP is getting like all the rest of the faceless crowd of vendors. It's sad, but to be just another money hungry vendor wasn't how I saw SLP. Can't see how much longer anyone will stick up for them if they treat their customer base like that. I call 'em as I see 'em, so unless there's a good explanation for it, my opinion stands pat. And having a skeleton crew is no excuse. Customer service is only as good as the people providing it. Get more help if the people are being overrun.

Better be careful, someone who is on this board may response to this thread by saying, "get over and get a life", that seems to be his answer for many of us who are not happy with SLP lately.
Posts: 165 | From: Petersburg, Va | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avengeance Z4C
1st Gear
Member # 2053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avengeance Z4C   Email Avengeance Z4C         Edit/Delete Post 
So if we order a birth cert for our LEs from SLP right now will we get those quickly? Or am I reading this right... SLP cant provide the #s? Only Chevy can?

So..

SS build # = SLP

LE build # = Chevy

Correct?

Im still waiting for my LofA... I wouldnt mind having the birth cert for the car but if Im gonna have to wait for that too then Ill just wait for the LofA first.

Can anyone answer that those Qs above?

--------------------
02 35th Ann. T-Top, LE #1637.
~353rwhp/370rwtq-untuned with mods below.
~12.8 @ 110, 1.9 60'-on DRs.
Mods: BMR Gen2 SFCs | BMR adj.LCAs | Eibach Sportlines | Pro5.0 Shifter | Jet Hot LTs & ORY | Cutout | TSP LID | MSD Wires |

Posts: 119 | From: NorCal | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
HotWheelSS aka HTWLSS
SSOA Director
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotWheelSS aka HTWLSS   Author's Homepage   Email HotWheelSS aka HTWLSS         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avengeance Z4C:
So if we order a birth cert for our LEs from SLP right now will we get those quickly? Or am I reading this right... SLP cant provide the #s? Only Chevy can?

So..

SS build # = SLP

LE build # = Chevy

Correct?

Im still waiting for my LofA... I wouldnt mind having the birth cert for the car but if Im gonna have to wait for that too then Ill just wait for the LofA first.

Can anyone answer that those Qs above?

I don't know if your LE # is on the SLP birth certificate, and I don't know what their turnaround time is. You'll have to contact SLP for the answer to that one.

Your SS # (via SLP) and LE # (via Chevrolet) will be printed on your SSOA LofA. I'm hoping to have those rolling again before the end of the year....(keeping fingers crossed that all goes well).

Private message me w/your VIN and I'll look up your LE #.

Posts: 7198 | From: Near Portland, Oregon, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Happy_Dan
Forum Moderator
Member # 118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy_Dan   Author's Homepage   Email Happy_Dan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vargod:
quote:

Better be careful, someone who is on this board may response to this thread by saying, "get over and get a life", that seems to be his answer for many of us who are not happy with SLP lately.
Where's the janitor??

SLP needs to stay in business as best they can. Obviously, we don't buy enough to keep them in business with just us. I am sure they would be happy to be doing so well that they need to hire more customer service people. It is obvious they can't right now. I would cut them some slack on the "favors" we ask of them. They are a big part of why we are here as a group! Opinions are fine, but just plain negative remarks aren't welcome. el ess1 is making a point that I can accept. This one is uncalled for, a personal shot at someone and should be deleted.

[ 30. September 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: DanA_F99_1977 ]

Posts: 5946 | From: Litchfield, NH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
chrisL
Shhh, I'm on the phone.
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisL   Author's Homepage   Email chrisL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's sad, but to be just another money hungry vendor wasn't how I saw SLP. Can't see how much longer anyone will stick up for them if they treat their customer base like that. I call 'em as I see 'em, so unless there's a good explanation for it, my opinion stands pat. And having a skeleton crew is no excuse. Customer service is only as good as the people providing it. Get more help if the people are being overrun.

call em as you see em, but it helps if your eyes are open. [Roll Eyes]

They laid most of the staff off, including JeffY.

You think they are worried about giving out build numbers?

No, they are focusing on staying in business.

That means they are cutting back on everything non-essential for now until operations are relocated back in Toms River, NJ.

As I posted above, they are CLOSING thier Michigan facilities. There is barely anyone left there, so if you want to go off on a rant over it, knock yourself out.

--------------------
chrisL
00 Hawk 295 - NBM, Hurst, Bilstein, Auburn, SLP spoiler, Chrome, Syntec, Lou's Short Stick, SLP OE lid, SLP !CAGS, BMR STB

JeffY
3rd Gear
Member # 120

quote:
Originally posted by vargod:
quote:

You obviuosly mean me and I'll be happy to repeat it-get a life, if you can't drive your car without a build #. By the way, I no longer work for SLP, so I'm just the average guy posting on this board! Or perhaps I shouldn't since I don't even own a f-car. I don't have to worry about a build #!!. As I've said before, you didn't buy your SS from SLP anymore than you bought your seats from Lear or your radio from Delphi. You bought the car from GM. SLP was the vendor that supplied the parts and labor. You may have bought some additional Y2Y options, and, yes, those you bought forom SLP. The issuance of build numbers was always done as a favor for customers. No one ever asked for a fee for it and GM didn't care if we ever did it or not. SLP did it for you, the customer ( some who now feel justified in turning on them). ASC only started doing it because SLP was doing it for the SS owners. Again, GM never asked anyone to do it and most of them, except for Scott, didn't even know it. As far as a customer base, its pretty small and getting smaller. I could continue this diatribe for a long time but I won't. If anyone wants to continue it, please e-mail me.
The Janitor
Forum Moderator
Member # 2035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Janitor   Author's Homepage   Email The Janitor         Edit/Delete Post 
now yall all calm down now, ya hear.

SLP is facing some tough times, as most of the automotive industry is.

I would think of any car club out there, SSOA would be most understanding of the current circumstances considering the support SLP has given SSOA over the years.

Posts: 82 | From: The closet at the end of the hall | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
HotWheelSS aka HTWLSS
SSOA Director
Member # 117

quote:
Originally posted by The Janitor:
now yall all calm down now, ya hear.

SLP is facing some tough times, as most of the automotive industry is.

I would think of any car club out there, SSOA would be most understanding of the current circumstances considering the support SLP has given SSOA over the years.

I'll second that. SLP has been very good to the SSOA. They need some time to get everything in order while they re-group. That's why I haven't been a pest about verifications. Patience will pay off and the build # issues will get worked out as SLP settles in NJ.
el ess1
2nd Gear
Member # 1544

quote:
Originally posted by chrisL:
call em as you see em, but it helps if your eyes are open. [Roll Eyes]

They laid most of the staff off, including JeffY.

You think they are worried about giving out build numbers?

No, they are focusing on staying in business.

Criticizing someone's opinion is not very nice. To see people lose jobs does suck, no doubt. However, friendships/aquaintances aside, speaking strictly as a consumer on a more global platform, SLP's woes are not my problem if I need assistance with their products. You can go ahead and be blindly loyal to them until the last check is cashed for all I care. If you'd take a peek you'd see my eyes are wide open. Show me something verifiable to make a case other than "they're just trying to stay in business" and I'll listen. That's not an excuse not to try and continue to give at least minimally decent customer service. Without customers, no one can stay in business. I have no idea as to who is "ranting" here, because I'm certainly not ranting. You want to see rants about SLP, visit some of the other boards. I've done my share of defending SLP. But I seem to be ruffling the feathers of some people by not having blind faith to the SLP religion. I don't care what company it is, if they want my continued support, they'll have to earn it every time I do business with them. You can't be the best if you don't try to be the best.

My main point is that you can't stay in business if you don't at least TRY to support the customer base. Meaning even with internal problems, you shouldn't have the need to be rude to customers and blow them off, not return phone calls, etc. If they can't support build number requests right now, then they should politely point out that they can't do it right now due to fiscal and staffing constraints, etc., and if they want to discontinue the practice, then they can just say so. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. But I have no reason to not believe someone that posted here said they were treated rudely over the phone. I can't do anything about whether SLP goes out of business or not. That's up to them. But as a contract vendor in a previous life, I learned that value-added service can make the difference sometimes. That little extra that doesn't cost anything but a few minutes of time.

Times are tough all over, this I realize. They have to do what they have to do in what they feel is in their best interest. But if their staff is made up of what's left of the "rude" ones, then they might be better off closing up shop. From what I've seen, SLP has been notorious for not telling anyone what's going on until the last minute, customers and staff alike. Don't know if that's coincidence or not, but my own observations are what I go on. I think they'd get a bit more understanding if they'd communicate with their customers a bit more. Bottom line is if you want my money, you gotta at least pretend to be nice to me.

It's really simple, perception-wise. If you think you're getting poor quality products/service from a company, you don't go back. Even loyal consumers will bend so far, then take their dollars elsewhere if they perceive they're not getting their money's worth. That is the cold, hard facts of life. I still believe as a whole, SLP is a good company with a lot of good people. Maybe after things get re-organized, it will be better for all of us.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to support SLP. I don't want them to go out of business. But I'm also not as much a blind follower like I once was. I like their products, and they've brought all of us great performance/appearance enhancements to the F-body world. But if they think they're going to get a pass from the consumer side of me just because they're having some rough financial times, I'm sorry to say that's not going to be the case. If that's what you call ranting, then ok, you can consider it a rant. I simply call it an unbiased, non-personal opinion to which you can either agree or disagree. [Smile]

--------------------
Mike
'02 #6906

vargod
1st Gear
Member # 1116

quote:
]
Where's the janitor??

SLP needs to stay in business as best they can. Obviously, we don't buy enough to keep them in business with just us. I am sure they would be happy to be doing so well that they need to hire more customer service people. It is obvious they can't right now. I would cut them some slack on the "favors" we ask of them. They are a big part of why we are here as a group! Opinions are fine, but just plain negative remarks aren't welcome. el ess1 is making a point that I can accept. This one is uncalled for, a personal shot at someone and should be deleted. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Let me make something very clear, because obviously what I wrote is not clear, no where in my response is anyones name mentioned. I agree with el essl in the sense SLP is not making it easy for those of us, who are their customers to continue to be. However, the issue I have is that when something negative is said about this company all of a sudden comments are being thrown at people by the "SLP groupies" and if something is said contrary to them they response in this childish manner. The reality is that SLP is no longer the company it was. THis is evenident by the forum closing down, w/o any warning or explaination (not that they had to, but out of respect for their customer they should have said something); their level of custoemr service going down, SLP CADs being cancelled just to name a few. I, by no means wish to see SLP go out of business and I understand their need to do what they have to do, but you can not stay in business if your customer service to the after market retail business is not there.

Now if you got your panties in a wad from what I said, then too bad, but I am not going to change it. The SLP groupies need to understand that their opinions are not the only ones on this board and that everyone should be able to express themselves w/o having some stupid adolescent comment made. If those comments are out of line then let the "janitor" deal with them; otherwise respect others opinions.

Enough said, have a nice day.

10thhawk103
1st Gear
Member # 2033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 10thhawk103   Email 10thhawk103         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the comments about closing the Mich. facility...Anyone heard from Dave H (ChrisL?)? Was curious what he was doing since he just moved his family up there from NJ. Pretty much sucks for him, since I assume he's now moving back to NJ?

Hate to see them going through the business probs, Dave, Ed, etc are a nice bunch of people!

Posts: 50 | From: Annapolis,MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
chrisL
Shhh, I'm on the phone.
Member # 97

quote:
Originally posted by 10thhawk103:
Based on the comments about closing the Mich. facility...Anyone heard from Dave H (ChrisL?)? Was curious what he was doing since he just moved his family up there from NJ. Pretty much sucks for him, since I assume he's now moving back to NJ?

Hate to see them going through the business probs, Dave, Ed, etc are a nice bunch of people!

Dave is doing fine, and he will be at their NJ CAD next weeekend.

He is staying in Michigan, along with his father, because thats "where the action is" for OE/Tier 1 type work. Though things have been scaled back, they are not out of business, and Michigan is where they need to be to explore future business opportunities.

The business is not in danger of going under.... but obviously with the end of the fcar program, they did lose a big piece of their revenue. Unfortunately, it was enough to necessitate their consolidating SLP Engineering/Automotive Group operations back to NJ.

Anyone who runs a business knows there are times when difficult decsions neeed to be made.

Anyone who actually thinks Ed or Dave Hamburger are happy about this, well, then you just dont know them.

--------------------
chrisL

35th 02 ss
2nd Gear
Member # 1667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 35th 02 ss   Email 35th 02 ss         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion it does not matter to us the consumer if they are going through hard times, or staff reduction, or whatever else may be going on because without us they do not have business.

Customer satisfaction is number 1 to most people, and I'm not talking about the build number here, I have called to order parts and have left a message, still waiting on the call back 2 years ago.

Yesterday I called a company to get a replacement sticker for my airlid, a sticker that cost's them maybe 50 cent, after talking to the person I needed to talk to the owner got on the phone and joked around with me for a bit asked me how the car was doing and was told to call him back in a couple of weeks. This same owner has talked to me until midnight at times on the phone while he was still at work, he might have 20 people working for him and most likley that's to high of a number.

That is customer satisfaction and that is way I'm going to drive 12 hours to have header's, cutout and a line lock put on the car, sure i can take it somewhere else and have it done, but I know that if this shop does it, it will be done right the first time and if I did have a problem I know that it would be taken care of with no questions being asked.

Posts: 339 | From: Wallops Island, VA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
chrisL
Shhh, I'm on the phone.
Member # 97

el ess1, vargod... apologies if I came on strongly.

I do respect anyone's opinion, but trust me.... I have enough information to know whats going on there.

I guess my issue is this... build numbers were done as a courtesy to us. It was an "extra" bonus tossed our way.

We got spoiled by it. Now that they cant take the time to look up the info for us... does that mean they dont care about their customers?

and to insinuate I am blindly loyal... ask Jeff or Dave how many times over the years I have pointed out issues to them that I have run across the boards.... it got to the point Jeff gave me the nickname "Alter Ego".

I know Jeff and Dave pretty well, as do many members here. We do have a relationship with them that goes beyond being "just a customer". So yeah, I, and others, do defend them when we see something we disagree with.

Its the same with their CADs. I dont think anyone at SLP was happy they pulled the plug on most of them this year. I have also seen the complaints on the other boards because they are charging admission this year for the NJ event.

Same issue... we get spoiled by something no other company did... and when it has to stop, or change, folks complain.

I've never seen anyone complain when GMHTP has their shootouts and folks pay. I dont see any other aftermarket company holding a raceday event at all.

--------------------
chrisL

Hawkeye
5th Gear
Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Author's Homepage   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add my $0.02.

Has there ever been a company with a perfect
customer service record? - I doubt it. Do
business owners strive for perfection? - I
know they do. However, sometimes we fall short
of our expectations. I am a business owner and
believe me it hurts on a personal level when our
service falls short of my expectations. Sometimes
it's human error, sometimes it's just that
things out of our control happen and we're not
able to perform like I think we should. I don't
ever want that to happen, but realistically I
know it will. I can only use the experience to
try and see it doesn't happen again.

As for SLP - the key here in my opinion is
experience. I don't believe that they've had
a lot of experience in: 1) huge growth - from
just a few hundred units to over 10,000 per
year and then 2) severe cutbacks to just a
skeleton staff.

I think they were hoping that the Ford line
would carry the load, but that didn't pan out.
So, they were left with the task of severe
downsizing. Has service suffered, you bet -
are they happy about it - no way. But, given
time the ship will be righted and once again
they'll return. SLP is not a branch of a huge
corporation with deep pockets that can run at
a loss while waiting for the next "big" product.
It's a family business that made it to a level
that few family businesses do. They tried to give
back a few "extras" to their customers - real
auto fanatics - build #'s. CADs all at their
expense. Now - things have changed - staff have
been laid off, facilities closed, and service
levels dropped off. The freebies may no longer
be available. So be it.

Emotions aside, I have always received good
service and product from SLP. My sincere hope
is that when the F Body returns, SLP or someone
like them will be there so we "car nuts" can
take a good product ( I hope ) and make it
better.

Brian

--------------------
Hawkeye: SSOA F98-C98
 -

1998 SS - Black All Options - Mods
Whisper Lid, K & N, Lou's Short Stick, Shift Light, Skip Shift, SLP Y, Borla, 4:10's, BMR STB, SLP SFCs, Granatelli MAF, Hypertech III, 160 Stat, Mallory Billet Pedals, Metco Aluminum LCAs,Fast Toys Ram Air Mod, Spohn Panhard Bar, BMR Torque Arm, free EGR mod,power antenna, BMR LCA brackets, Gentex Temp/Compass Auto Dim Mirror, AllMaxx Strobe and Wig Wag, BAER Eradispeed rotors,PPC Headers with Random Technology Hi Flow Cats, BMR Drive shaft Loop,FAST 78MM Throttle Body, FAST 78MM Composite Intake, Mobil 1 & lots of Zaino.

Wife & Best Friend Mary - copilot.

Posts: 5558 | From: Windsor, Ontario. Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
vargod
1st Gear
Member # 1116

quote:

I do respect anyone's opinion, but trust me.... I have enough information to know whats going on there.

I guess my issue is this... build numbers were done as a courtesy to us. It was an "extra" bonus tossed our way.

We got spoiled by it. Now that they cant take the time to look up the info for us... does that mean they dont care about their customers?

and to insinuate I am blindly loyal... ask Jeff or Dave how many times over the years I have pointed out issues to them that I have run across the boards.... it got to the point Jeff gave me the nickname "Alter Ego".

I know Jeff and Dave pretty well, as do many members here. We do have a relationship with them that goes beyond being "just a customer". So yeah, I, and others, do defend them when we see something we disagree with.

Its the same with their CADs. I dont think anyone at SLP was happy they pulled the plug on most of them this year. I have also seen the complaints on the other boards because they are charging admission this year for the NJ event.

Same issue... we get spoiled by something no other company did... and when it has to stop, or change, folks complain.

I've never seen anyone complain when GMHTP has their shootouts and folks pay. I dont see any other aftermarket company holding a raceday event at all.

I can appreciate what you are saying. The only issue i have is that loyality should not step on people personal opinions or feelings. I personally think SLP is a great company that is going through a tuff time. I think GM screwed them and I think they will rebound in time. However, how they treat their customer base will define them in the future. There are too many after market companies out there that would love to get all of SLP's business. That's just the truth in the matter. I'm not one of those folks that need to have everything for free. Hell, I'll pay for anything if I want it and really don't care about the price. I think however, during this time of turmoil, that people should be allowed to vent however they want, as long as no one gets hurt. Each of us have our own interactions with SLP that means each of us have our own personal stories good or bad. For people to sit back and try to insult those who have have and experience is just down right disrespectful. I don't care where you are on the food chain, that is just not right.

I think that loylity is a good thing. I think you and many of us on this and other boards are genuinely good people and would not stray from SLP, and I, even though in the cosmic sceme of things, relative new to this community, have stood up and defended SLP and its staff. The issue in my mind is not the build numbers, it just treating everyone, whether a customer and a board memeber with the respect they deserve. Not to play this PA crap and start calling names or making stupid childish remarks, or demanding a that a thread be deleted because they don't agree with the content or comments. It not a prefect world out there and i would hope everyone realizes that.

Now I'm getting off my soap box, I hope all of y'all have a safe and fun time at SLP CAD III, I wish I could make it. However, my folks will be in town next week. I don't think I could justify not being here. I mean there, opps. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 01. October 2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: vargod ]

el ess1
2nd Gear
Member # 1544

quote:

Chris, although I'm not sure if an apology is even warranted, I'll accept. Never know when Chris will ever apologize for anything again! [Razz] j/k. That's one thing I like about chirpthird, is that even when we disagree, we know how to get over it and get on with it.

And your issue is valid, but that extra bonus they tossed our way was a very cool one, and THAT'S a great example of what I meant by value-added service. Just like the free goodie bags at the CADs. I'm sure it didn't cost an arm and a leg to number the cars or to give away an SLP chrome logo or ballcap. Although it may not mean anything to some people, it is the fact they went to the trouble to do stuff like this that made a difference and showed a tangible indicator of the loyalty and appreciation in both directions. Did we get spoiled? Of course. But that's what made SLP not just another faceless vendor. The perception that as a customer, you were getting treated royally. You can't buy that feeling.

Same with GM and numbering the LE's. That's something Scott, et al, didn't HAVE to do, but they did and it gave LE owners something to have a warm fuzzy about. To someone collecting information on the history of their car, while not essential to its operation, obtaining the sequence number is something nice to have. Not only that, but from a useful side, it surely helped to verify if a used car you intended to purchase was a "real" SS/'hawk or not and warranted the possible extra price.

My gut feeling is that in time, SLP will be back on top again. It's no picnic for any of us right now. We'll just see how things go.

--------------------
Mike
'02 #6906

JeffY
3rd Gear
Member # 120

I told myself that I wasn't going to add anything to this thread but now that I've "calmed" down I will. As I said, I'm not with SLP any longer and I have no reason to defend them. In fact, there are some within SLP that never liked my "attitude" on the SLP board and wanted me banned but Dave always stood up for me. I have always been sarcastic and that's my nature. If anyone wants to do a search, they'll find my "humor" in almost all of my posts. But if you do the same search, you'll also see that I went to extremes in terms of customer service to represent SLP in the best light possible. So when someone complains about customer service and one rude person on a phone, I did take it to heart. As most people on this board will testify, when they had a question, I tried to answer it as quickly and as accurate as possible. If I didn't know the answer, I would investigate it and get back to them. I had many people call me directly so we wouldn't have to evn wait for the lag on the message board route and I would often call first, if I could. How many companies had their Chief Engineer available for customer questions almost 24/7? And it wasn't a job requirement - it was something I did because you guys were there and we're all car people. When someone had trouble getting ahold of anyone in SLP, they would often just contact me and I could go over and smack someone and get them to respond. I understand customer service - I've been in the "custom car" business almost my whole life and understand the care and concern you have for your car. I also understand what it takes to stay in business and what's happening back at SLP right now. There are priorities in life and business, and sometimes things aren't always the way you want them. Build numbers is one of them. Nowhere in this thread has anyone mentioned anything about not getting any other custom concerns taken care of - just build numbers. The warranty process is still in place I believe and parts are being supplied. The New Jersey operation (Performance Parts) is still doing there thing and anyone at CAD will see that themselves. If anyone's feelings were hurt by my comments, I'm sorry you took it that way. As I said, I'll be happy to talk to anyone offline as well. And if I can answer questions, I still try to do that, until my brain cells flake off so badly that I can't help. [Big Grin]

( I'm sure some smart donkey will now comment how this is the longest post I have ever made) [Razz]

[ 01. October 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: JeffY ]

Daves2002SS
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daves2002SS   Email Daves2002SS         Edit/Delete Post 
JeffY, have you ever thought of writing novels? [Wink] J/K. On numerous occasions I emailed you about stupid little questions and you always responded promptly and to the best of your ability, and yes you always included your cell number at the end. You have always been a good guy in my book and I would have reacted the same way you did if the company I worked for was under attack.
Posts: 24 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
vargod
1st Gear
Member # 1116

quote:

( I'm sure some smart donkey will now comment how this is the longest post I have ever made) [Razz] [/QB]

-

JeffY, its all good. No reason to get all upset.

By the way I'm really not a donkey [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 01. October 2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: vargod ]

Hawkeye
5th Gear
Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Author's Homepage   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Chit - was that really JeffY - your fingers
must be sore [Wink] [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
 -

Whisper Lid, K & N, Lou's Short Stick, Shift Light, Skip Shift, SLP Y, Borla, 4:10's, BMR STB, SLP SFCs, Granatelli MAF, Hypertech III, 160 Stat, Mallory Billet Pedals, Metco Aluminum LCAs,Fast Toys Ram Air Mod, Spohn Panhard Bar, BMR Torque Arm, free EGR mod,power antenna, BMR LCA brackets, Gentex Temp/Compass Auto Dim Mirror, AllMaxx Strobe and Wig Wag, BAER Eradispeed rotors,PPC Headers with Random Technology Hi Flow Cats, BMR Drive shaft Loop,FAST 78MM Throttle Body, FAST 78MM Composite Intake, Mobil 1 & lots of Zaino.

Posts: 5558 | From: Windsor, Ontario. Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Happy_Dan
Forum Moderator
Member # 118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy_Dan   Author's Homepage   Email Happy_Dan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy to see we can disagree!

I am proud of you guys for gettting the longest post ever out of JeffY

Now, just for the record. I am not an SLP groupie! I am very happy to have been associated with some of the people at SLP. They are fine people and I know try to do thier best. But I have lots of other parts on my car that are not SLP and I sure dont' have the same relationship I had with SLP. It did feel personal with SLP. That made them different. It is also the reason it is harder for us to accept when they started to back off that "personal relationship" with all of us. We feel like just customers now, imagine that.

As for the statement that we are their business. If we were enough business, they wouldn't be in this sotuation. If SLP made a mistake, they remained loyal to our little niche! They probably should have changed from a pne play team long ago.

Again, I think it is very cool that we can even have this discussion. Yea Chirpthird!

Posts: 5946 | From: Litchfield, NH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
poSSum
AutoXer
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poSSum   Email poSSum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JeffY:
I'm sure some smart donkey will now comment how this is the longest post I have ever made [Razz]

I wish it was [Frown] Your Goodbye/Hello post was 113 words longer [Razz] [Big Grin]

[ 02. October 2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: poSSum ]

Posts: 4222 | From: Winnipeg MB CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
chrisL
Shhh, I'm on the phone.
Member # 97

quote:
Originally posted by poSSum:
quote:
I'm sure some smart donkey will now comment how this is the longest post I have ever made [Razz]

I wish it was [Frown] Your Goodbye/Hello post was 113 words longer [Razz] [Big Grin]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA.

He is out right now, but it will be funny when he sees this later. [Big Grin]

--------------------
chrisL

JohnS
Old Coot #2 (see DaddySS)
Member # 1073

Icon 14 posted      Profile for JohnS   Author's Homepage   Email JohnS         Edit/Delete Post 
Group hug! I love you guys (in a masculine sort of way [Big Grin] )!

Unfortunately, having a discussion in writing, and not person to person, allows for the reader to draw emotional conclusions that the writer didn't intend (e.g. I'm not gay - see above [Big Grin] !).

I've said it before, it's great we have a site where we can express our opinions and have an open discussion about the subject. In the near future, I'll be posting a rant about a problem I'm having with my SS caused by a manufacturing defect (no not SLP) at GM. I'm glad I'll have a place to post this, to get rid of some frustration, and hopefully get some sympathy from the readers (and maybe a little criticism, too). [Cool]

[ 02. October 2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: JohnS ]

Posts: 2359 | From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jim Mac
Chocoholic Instigator
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Mac   Email Jim Mac         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by poSSum:
quote:

Man, you have way too much time on your hands if you actually counted the words. Have you considered taking up knitting?
Posts: 1907 | From: I hope I'm not repeating myself. Again. And Again. Stop picking on me! Waaahhh!! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
5th Gear
Member # 88

Did you check to see if he counted? Maybe
he's bluffing. If you checked then you have
way too much time on YOUR hands [Razz] [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
 -

JeffY
3rd Gear
Member # 120

According to "Word", which automatically counts words, the hello/goodbye post was 114, not 113 words longer. It just takes computer skills, not time! [Razz]

(Computer skills don't include typing skills)

[ 02. October 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: JeffY ]

JohnS
Old Coot #2 (see DaddySS)
Member # 1073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnS   Author's Homepage   Email JohnS         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You got that one rite! [Big Grin]

[ 02. October 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: JohnS ]

Posts: 2359 | From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jim Mac
Chocoholic Instigator
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Mac   Email Jim Mac         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to "Word", which automatically counts words, the hello/goodbye post was 114, not 113 words longer. It just takes computer skills, not time! [Razz]

Nor the ability to split ones thoughts into paragraphs.
Posts: 1907 | From: I hope I'm not repeating myself. Again. And Again. Stop picking on me! Waaahhh!! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | chirpthird.com | Privacy Statement